Friday 5 October 2012

The moves you make

"It's Sunday night, and your listening to Allen Greene's Sunday Smoochers. First up - it's  Gary...Who's your dedication for Gary?"
"Annie."
"Tell us about Annie."
"She's gorgeous. She has long brown hair, deep green eyes, I love her to bits."
"And where did you meet her?"
"At Leeds University, at the Freshers Ball. I saw her across the dancefloor and couldn't stop watching her..."
"So, it was love at first sight?"
"Exactly.I told her she belonged to me, and that was it."
"Aaah. That's the kind of smooching story we like on this show...so  what do you want to me to play Gary?"
"For my wonderful Annie, for ten glorious years - The Police and Every Breath You Take...Cos, Annie, every single day, I'll be watching you."
"Great choice,thanks Gary, Police coming right up..."

Annie takes in a deep breath and fights back an urge to run to the door. It's locked as always, and the curtains are drawn. He can't get in. She's made sure he never get in. But...How did he know? How did he fucking know what radio station she listened to? That she'd be listening tonight? Was he hacking into her air waves? Was that even possible? She turns off the radio and hurtles it across the room. Every move she makes...That's another simple pleasure he's ruined.

She runs into her bedroom, and dives under the cover, as if the embrace of the duvet can fight off the cold that is seeping through her bones. She knows from bitter experience that she'll hardly sleep tonight. If she does, her dreams will be filled with his face gazing at her..

Every move she makes, every step she takes - he'll be watching her.
























6 comments:

Sulci Collective said...

Ouch! That hurts. Funnily enough my story this week is also about a sort of voyeurism

marc x

Peter Newman said...

That Police song is as ace as it is creepy. I liked the dedication and the stalker was immediately sinister.

Brinda said...

I always did think that song is a bit stalker-ish. Nice twist!

John Wiswell said...

I don't know why I imagined he was her author. He knew because he'd written her to be waiting by the radio.

Icy Sedgwick said...

I always hated that song and this story perfectly explains why!

Tim VanSant Writes said...

It's odd how many people think that is a sweet love song. You captured the essence of it well.